Dental emergencies can happen to any patient- at any time. Knowing what to do in the case of a dental emergency can save you time, discomfort, and money. Dr. Justin Deckard and our team at DC Precision Dentistry are committed to helping each patient receive the care they need in a timely, orderly manner.
If you are experiencing a dental emergency, please call (202) 851-7554. Our dental care team will work with you to schedule an appointment at your earliest convenience. In the event of excessive bleeding or injury to the face, call 9-1-1.
When experiencing a dental emergency, it is crucial that patients receive the care they need to prevent further damage. Our team at DC Precision Dentistry works closely with our patients to assess their dental emergency and create a solution based on their needs.
Common Dental Emergencies:
- Dental Abscess: A dental abscess is a build-up of pus that develops inside the teeth or gums. A dental abscess may develop from a bacterial infection. Patients may need to undergo a root canal to alleviate pain or discomfort. Never attempt to “pop” an abscess in the mouth at home.
- Tooth Fracture: Tooth fractures may lead to pulp exposure, which can cause patients a great deal of pain or discomfort. Any fractured tooth piece should be kept hydrated in case they are able to be reattached.
- Tooth Pain: The first step to treating tooth pain is to discover the source of pain. Tooth pain may stem from periodontal disease, dental trauma, tooth decay, infection or other dental concerns.
- Dental Trauma: Dental trauma may result in chipped, fractured, or broken teeth. Dental trauma is a common cause for a dental emergency in children and active patients.
Preventing Dental Emergencies
Dental emergencies can happen to any patient, no matter their age or the condition of their oral health. Even patients with healthy teeth are not immune to experiencing a dental emergency. In some cases, dental emergencies are preventable.
We encourage our patients to visit our DC dentist office for routine dental exams to minimize the risk of a sudden dental emergency as a result of deteriorating oral health. During routine dental exams, Dr. Deckard can assess the condition of the teeth and address any developing oral health concerns before they progress to a more advanced issue. Dr. Deckard can create a treatment plan tailored to meet your oral health needs.
Taking preventive measures to encourage healthy teeth and gums can help reduce your risk of experiencing certain types of dental emergencies.
Try to incorporate these keys tips to reduce your risk of experiencing a dental emergency:
- Wear a mouthguard during physical activity and sport. A custom designed mouthguard can act as a protective barrier between outside forces and your teeth and gums.
- Schedule routine dental exams and screenings. Regular dental exams allow Dr. Deckard to diagnose and treat any developing oral health concerns.
- Develop and maintain a healthy oral hygiene routine. Brushing, flossing, and rinsing can help reduce plaque and tartar build-up on the teeth and gums.